BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BUG & SOLUTION: Can't call method "getStats" on an undefined value

2011-10-02 11:03:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BUG & SOLUTION: Can't call method "getStats" on an undefined value
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: Gail Hardmann <gh0988 AT hotmail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 11:01:08 -0400
Gail Hardmann wrote at about 12:24:00 +0300 on Saturday, October 1, 2011:
 > [BackupPC-users] BUG & SOLUTION: Can't call method "getStats" on an
 > undefined value
 > Jeffrey: I have encountered exactly the same problem.  Thank you for your
 > bug solution.
 >
 > I am trying to run BackupPC on a DNS-323 NAS machine (it's a linux ARM
 > machine) usinf Rsync and an rsync daemon.
 >
 > But firstly, it seems to me I need to solve the famous "File::RsyncP -
 > module doesn't exist" problem, which crops up here. (BTW, can you direct me
 > to a good link in that respect)?

I have run BackupPC on a DNS-323 but I actually run it under debian --
if you look on the DNS-323 forum, you can see that I have posted on
how one can reboot the machine into a debian kernel (not just a change
root although that would work too). You can then use standard debian
BackupPC packages.

Note, however, that I found (and fixed) two bugs (in md5sum due to
32-bit alignment issues and also one in the Adler32 checksum
computation in File::RsyncP) -- see the archives for the fixes. I
would imagine that these bugs would also occur in the "native" DNS-323
kernel versions. The bugs are not fatal and don't destroy data but
they do give the wrong md5sum names and checksums.