BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] xxShareName = /cygwin ??

2011-09-09 10:15:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] xxShareName = /cygwin ??
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 21:14:40 +0700
On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:

>> my main question: can rsync be made to treat the "meta-filesystem root"
>> /cygwin as a ShareName?

> Seems like something you could test easier than explaining the question
> here...  Commands like 'ls -R /cygdrive'  can recurse over the letters that
> appear so it seems theoretically possible.

Perhaps I haven't been thorough enough in my testing, but I have tried
it and couldn't get it to work. And as you point out the underlying
protocols seem OK with the idea, which is what made me want to know if
BackupPC doesn't want to do this by design, or I thought perhaps
there's a variable switch to flick somewhere or. . .

But I guess not 8-(

> Alternatively, you could just have the users rsync the contents regularly to
> a matching place on a dedicated file server that backuppc backs up to keep a
> history.

Although a good suggestion in general - I've been using Unison to keep
a large personal data set in sync across my multiple desktops for
years - in this particular situation it would be more difficult to
implement than I'd prefer.

Same goes for Adam's ideas; I'm grateful for the suggestions though,
we may well end up having to do something along those lines.

The key concept I'm shooting for here is to try to get BackupPC to grab:

>> whatever data is currently mounted on a given client PC, without having to
>> know about it ahead of time.

Just in case there's any reticence based on privacy concerns, these
are 100% company-owned systems, and the staff are fully aware that
nothing personal is allowed near them.