BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] xxShareName = /cygwin ??

2011-09-09 00:43:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] xxShareName = /cygwin ??
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 11:41:07 +0700
Thanks to all for answering, and particularly Holger for your
thoughtful response. Before approaching the "social/concept" side, I'd
like to be clear  - from a purely technical POV - about my main
question: can rsync be made to treat the "meta-filesystem root"
/cygwin as a ShareName?

--------------

Since the larger picture, although perhaps off-topic, seems to be of
interest I'll pursue it a bit.

Regarding your comments on structure - unfortunately I (as must we
all)deal with reality as it presents itself, and ultimately have
little say in day-to-day ICT usage policies. Believe it or not it's
safe to say I'm the most structure-minded person here.

Fortunately some of the social factors are supportive, perhaps
different from the norm in the western corporate world:

- the users are heavily invested in the value of the data; they will
personally suffer much more from its loss than their employer

- management oversight controls can be put in place, no problems with
enforcement; strong culture of obedience, draconian penalties the norm

> no, that will not work. Simple reason: your backup history will contain the
> files backed up on one day, and the next day, when the drive isn't connected,
> they will appear to have been deleted (or changed to what now happens to be
> connected under the same path). Inevitably, the day the disk *is* connected
> will end up being an incremental backup and will thus expire, whether or not
> you have more recent backups of the data. Even full backups can expire while
> older backups are still kept if you use an exponential scheme.

In order to highlight the technical problems I perhaps overstated them here.

When a given drive is visible to BackupPC, it *does* have a "home" on
one particular host and will usually be mapped to the same drive
letter. True, that drive is sometimes there and sometimes not, so
let's try to overcome the problems you've raised as simply as
possible.

Preserving ancient historical versions of files is not a priority, so
let's assume full backups only and a "solid" retention policy, always
discarding oldest first. Therefore when a restore is needed, we only
need to look for the most recent set that includes that drive.

But there is a possibility that another client machine got backed up
with the drive attached more recently than its usual host - I'm not
depending on this, but would like if possible to take advantage of it,
especially since backing it up from multiple locations will only cost
time and bandwidth, not disk space. In the restore scenario, say the
owner is Andy - he'll know that Betty and Charles have also be working
with that drive, so it'll be relatively easy to check their host
records as well.

Which brings me back to my original question - I'd really like to know
we're grabbing whatever data is currently mounted on a given client
PC, without having to know about it ahead of time.

>> my question here is specifically to try to set up config.pl to avoid having
>> to create and maintain customized hostname.pl's.

Is that possible?

Thanks again for your (plural) help.