BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up little by little or throttling the backup?

2011-04-14 04:00:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up little by little or throttling the backup?
From: Pavel Hofman <pavel.hofman AT ivitera DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 09:42:06 +0200
Jake Wilson napsal(a):

> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 3:39 PM, John Rouillard
> <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com <mailto:rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT
> com>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 10:14:13AM -0600, Jake Wilson wrote:
>     > Thanks for the replies, everyone.  I have not tried the backup
>     yet, so I
>     > don't know what to expect.  I just didn't want to try it on a whim
>     without
>     > researching it a bit more.  The servers are not just file servers.
>      They run
>     > Oracle and proprietary data modeling software that do a lot of data
>     > crunching throughout the day.  Just needed to make sure that
>     rsyncing stuff
>     > during the process was not going to hinder performance too bad.

Hi,

We are using the trickle library modifier
http://linux.die.net/man/1/trickle :

# throttling 300kB up and 2MB down
$Conf{TarClientCmd} = '/usr/bin/trickle -s -u 300 -d 2000 $sshPath -C -q
-x -n -l root $host'
                    . ' /usr/bin/env LC_ALL=C nice $tarPath
--one-file-system -c -v -f - -C $shareName+'
                    . ' --totals';

Regards,

Pavel.