BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] bare metal restore?

2011-04-05 11:47:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] bare metal restore?
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 16:45:58 +0100
On Tue, 2011-04-05 at 11:20 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> Interesting.  I thought that rsync is no worse than using e.g., tar in the
> case
> of nothing to compare to.  Do you think rsync is actually worse (slower)?

It probably is slightly slower, especially at start. However, if there
is little in the target directory it will be reasonably fast.

The question is: for bare metal restores, do you care if it completes 5%
faster? Is that worth configuring tar methods if you already use rsync?

For me, the answer is no. Rsync restores, even of 200 GB hosts, have
been nearly as fast as disk and network limitations will allow.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"I respect you too much to respect your ridiculous ideas."
   -- Johann Hari