BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] host groups; was: feature request: description for machines, searchable

2011-03-22 13:26:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] host groups; was: feature request: description for machines, searchable
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 17:24:29 +0000
On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 13:09 -0400, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> I think it would still be helpful to have a hook that would allow some
> type of query of bandwidth available. Perhaps most users would never
> use the hook but having the option to call an external routine and
> return a bandwidth availability metric would be nice...

It's good to discuss features, but I don't think it is productive to
discuss features that don't exist on the underlying platform, or are
outside the scope of BackupPC.

How do you get a bandwidth availability metric? Short of trying to push
data back and forth, you can't.

Once you have that, how do you limit it? Again, this is dependent on an
existing bandwidth control system like TC, or the individual backup
tools supporting it (like rsync --bwlimit). BackupPC is just a (very
awesome) front-end to the backup tools that do the copying. Not all of
those tools have an in-built bandwidth limit system.

I'm just trying to limit suggestions to what the developer would
actually listen to, or could reasonably implement.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest
man, I would find something in them to have him hanged."