BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] host groups; was: feature request: description for machines, searchable

2011-03-22 11:49:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] host groups; was: feature request: description for machines, searchable
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:47:33 -0500
On 3/22/2011 9:26 AM, Jeff Schmidt wrote:

> not to jack this thread, but the concept of 'groups' would be extremely
> beneficial in virtualized environments (let's not backup /all/ of the
> vm's on a single physical host at the same time). I've seen some talk of
> using a semaphore
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
> net/msg13698.html), but haven't seen a clear (to me!) implementation of this
> technique.
> this post of a work-around
> http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
> net/msg16195.html would extend my backup period too long...

Agreed - I've always thought it would be nice if backuppc were aware of
hosts grouped on a network route as well and could separately limit the
concurrency within the those groups.   Maybe it could be generalized
with a concept of how much impact a run will have on total concurrency
(to limit the overall number in a way that might differ depending on the
targets) and also within its group to cover bandwidth and other shared
resource (like VMs) issues.