BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions

2011-03-14 10:02:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: gayleard AT eircom DOT net, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:00:55 -0400
Timothy Murphy wrote at about 15:24:07 +0000 on Sunday, March 13, 2011:
 > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 >
 > > I don't think that explains why you are seeing lightning fast speeds
 > > while all of the rest of us are unable to get anything but very small
 > > BackupPC archives to rsync in a reasonable amount of time  if at all.
 >
 > Could you define what you mean by "very small archives"
 > and "reasonable amount of time".
 >
 > --

Ahhh... not easy of course... since few people post specifics about
either their BackupPC or their archives.

But just as a swag, I would say that when you have north of a million
pool files and maybe a couple dozen backups that it starts taking tens
of hours to rsync a BackupPC archive on a normal desktop with say a
few gigs of memory. My numbers may be way wrong, but that has been my
experience and my sense from reading between the lines of what others
post...