BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions

2011-03-13 10:27:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 10:24:32 -0400
Cesar Kawar wrote at about 07:33:52 +0100 on Sunday, March 13, 2011:

 > Enviado desde mi iPhone
 >
 > El 13/03/2011, a las 02:10, "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT
 > org> escribió:
 >
 > > Cesar Kawar wrote at about 23:07:53 +0100 on Friday, March 11, 2011:

 > > Honestly, I am a bit confused because your ability to rsync a 1TB
 > > BackupPC archive in 2 hours seems to be at odds with the experience of
 > > just about everyone else that talks about rsyncs taking days or
 > > crashing on pools of just a few hundred gigabytes. And everybody else
 > > has talked about memory issues. Indeed, if a 1TB archive of 1 year of
 > > BackupPC data could be rsynced in 2 hours, I can almost guarantee that
 > > we never would have had hundreds of threads looking for better ways to
 > > backup a BackupPC archive. I would really love to understand why your
 > > experience seems to be so different from others.
 >
 > As i said before, it did't work for us eithdr with versions prior
 > to 3.0.2. With 2.6.9 we had all the problems that have been
 > described so many times. Core dumps, high memory utilization,
 > etc. Basically, it didn't work.

I have been using 3.0.x (now 3.0.7) for a couple of years now and most
people on the list have also been using a version of 3.0.x since it
has been released 3 years ago. So, while 2.x had other memory issues,
I don't think that explains why you are seeing lightning fast speeds
while all of the rest of us are unable to get anything but very small
BackupPC archives to rsync in a reasonable amount of time  if at all.

 > I've been following this list for a long time, even though i did never wrote
 > a mail to it until now, but i've read all the problems people were having to
 > replicate the pool.
 >
 > I even remember someone said that by installing backuppc on nexenta or open
 > solaris he'd been able to use built in zfs block level rsync like funtions
 > to sync the pool to another zfs based network machine.
 >
 > But all that was before rsync 3.0.2 which actually worked for us.

I don't know - that has not been the common experience. If it were as
simple as an upgrade to 3.0.x, surely the mailing list wouldn't still
be filled with issues.

 > We even had 2 drives to cycle them every morning.
 >
 > The most demanded resource on the machine during the sync process
 > was CPU. I don't have access to that machine and data anymore, as I
 > said, but I'm sure that most of you have the knowledge to do it
 > with your installation and a recent rsync version.
 >

 > Could you please try it and confirm that? It will depend greatly on
 > the machine you are using, ours was a 4 core Xeon with 4 gb of ram
 > and 2 SATA HDs on a software RAID-1. When rsyncing the pool,
 > BackupPC was stopped obviously and no other unneeded daemons or
 > programs where running.

I have a much slower machine with only 2.5GB RAM. But again CPU has
not been my issue. Perhaps others could try to replicate your results
but again I haven't heard anyone having close to your reported experience.