BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics

2011-03-07 10:32:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics
From: Cesar Kawar <kawarmc AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 16:30:45 +0100
I'm sorry if I've been rude in my last mail.

I've been using BackupPC for years and never thought the documentation was not
sufficiently good.

I understand there is no ssh, tar, rsync or samba documentation in backupPC's
project, but, is it really the place to look for that information?

There are tons of pages and documents about any of those programs and I think
spending time on re-writing it is not practical.

This is a GPLed program, that relays on other GPLed programs, what's the reason
to redo the work others have already done? Maybe this is the right spot for the
authors to get BackupPC as a commercial product in which they provide full
support and extensible documentation.

But, again, if you ever run any flavor of unix and have certain experience with
it, you know tar, ssh and samba, and probably rsync, so you should only need to
"refresh" or extend your knowledge of them.

Again, I don't try to be rude, so if it sound a bit "snarky", I'm really sorry.

And, please, excuse my English, I'm from Spain.