BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC very slow backing up 25GB files

2011-02-02 11:41:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC very slow backing up 25GB files
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen AT complete DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 16:39:10 +0000 (UTC)
Stephen Joyce <stephen <at> physics.unc.edu> writes:

> Wouldn't it be easier to eliminate the problem? BackupPC is comparing the
> files to determine if they're identical (normally using lots of CPU to
> uncompress the pooled file, but since you're not using compression, that's
> not your issue).
>
> Why not simply name your database dump differently each time it occurs? My

We may well do that next time we rebuild that server.  For now, it is so tightly
enmeshed in various scripts that changing it would require taking down some
business-critical things for testing so it's not worth the effort at the moment.

It's interesting, though, that the BackupPC server -- with slower CPU and slower
disk -- appears to checksum the file in a few minutes, while the remote rsync
takes hours.  I am pretty sure that rsync talking to rsync doesn't behave like
this ordinarily and that something about what BackupPC is doing is causing
problems.  But surely I'm not the only one using BackupPC with rsync with 24GB
files changing?  That's not all that large of a file size (other examples I can
think of include video editing, etc)