BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC incrementals slow backing up 25GB files

2011-02-02 09:48:52
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC incrementals slow backing up 25GB files
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen AT complete DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 08:46:32 -0600
Hi,

I've been noticing something weird here.  I backed up a machine here for
the first time.  The full backup took 28 minutes.  The incrementals then
took 602 minutes, and the next one 629 minutes.  Very strange, eh?

I'm not using compression in my pool (compression level is 0).

I discovered that the problem appears to be a 25GB file that changes
every day.  This file is a database dump.  It is a binary file that
probably differs by a GB or two each day.

CPU on the server being backed up is basically 100% to rsync.  Watching
the file stream into new/ on the backuppc server, it is going through
very slowly -- about half a MB per second.  Load on the backuppc server
is 0.01 and the CPU is 99% idle.

In investigating this, I noticed that BackupPC's default rsync options
include sending a command for a very small rsync window size -- just 2K.
  I removed that from the options but it made no difference.  Next I
tried adding --whole-file, but with that option, backuppc crashed
immediately with "Got fatal error during xfer (fileListReceive failed)."

I do not wish to do full backups on this every single night due to the
unnecessary disk exercising, plus the unnecessary hardlink farm.  What
are my options?  A 10-hour backup time on that server is unworkable (we
backed it up to tape in under 2).

-- John