BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Wierd backup problem

2010-11-12 17:23:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Wierd backup problem
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 22:21:16 +0000
B,

You are doing two things differently from my own config:

1. You're using lots of RsyncShareNames, rather than just / and using
BackupFilesOnly and BackupFilesExclude. In fact, I've never used more
than one RsyncShareName. Do you use this on your other hosts too? Aside
from having BackupsDisable set, does it differ from any other host?

2. You're using sudo instead of root login. Your call. I prefer SSH keys
with root not allowed to SSH by password.

Attached is a sample of my backup host's configuration. This is a merge
of important global variables for clarity, and those specific to the
backup host. My backup host gets backed up daily just like any other
client.

Regards,
Tyler

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 10:53 -0500, B. Alexander wrote:
> Here is the config for that host:
>
> $Conf{PartialAgeMax} = '0'; # Added per Craig's recommendation
> $Conf{BackupsDisable} = '1';
> $Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = 'sudo $rsyncPath $argList+';
> $Conf{RsyncClientRestoreCmd} = 'sudo $rsyncPath $argList+';
> $Conf{RsyncShareName} = [ '/boot', '/lib/modules', '/home', '/etc',
> '/var/backups', '/var/cache/apt', '/var/lib/apt', '/var/log', '/root',
> '/usr/local', '/var/lib/dpkg' ];
>
> In the main config, I am using  "--checksum-seed=32761" in RsyncArgs,
> which enables it for everything.
>
> --b
>
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 3:10 AM, Tyler J. Wagner <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 17:26 -0500, B. Alexander wrote:
> >> I don't think so, Les. I have been watching the backup as it runs (as
> >> Tyler suggested earlier in the thread), and if I change the order of
> >> the directories in RsyncShareName, the last file that gets backed up
> >> changes, but it is the same file, whether during an incremental or
> >> full.
> >
> > Could you post more of your config for that host? Are you using multiple
> > RsyncShareName entries? Or one ("/") with a few directories in
> > BackupFilesOnly and BackupFilesExclude? Are you using
> > "--checksum-seed=32761" in RsyncArgs?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tyler
> >
> > --
> > "If we don't believe in free expression for people we despise, we don't
> > believe in it at all."
> >   -- Noam Chomsky

"If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest
man, I would find something in them to have him hanged."
  -- Armand Jean du Plessis, Cardinal Richelieu