BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Am I going about this wrong?

2010-11-10 15:43:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Am I going about this wrong?
From: gregwm <backuppc-users AT whitleymott DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:40:10 -0600
> i've used rsync -qPHSa with some success.  however, if you have lots of
> links, and not terribly much memory, rsync gobbles memory in proportion to
> how many hardlinks it's trying to match up.  so, ironically, i use
> storebackup to make an offsite copy of my backuppc volume.

Isn't that what BackupPC_ArchiveHost is for? Or do you need to keep
the files individually accessible?

perhaps i'm ignorant of BackupPC_ArchiveHost functionality, on first glance it appears to resemble tar.  rsync and storebackup offer the advantages that subsequent transfers do not need to repeat the transfer of existing files, and they handle hardlinks.  storebackup also has the winning property of requiring far less memory to handle the hardlinks.