BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Several questions on backing up over wireless...

2010-11-05 09:09:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Several questions on backing up over wireless...
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 08:05:27 -0500
On 11/5/10 7:28 AM, B. Alexander wrote:

> However, when I tried to back up the N810, it ultimately failed with a
> signal=PIPE. I am not sure how long the job ran, but I do know I had
> to reset my wireless router (Linksys WRT54GL running OpenWRT). I added
> a ClientTimeout of 72000 just to be sure.

If you are using rsync, you should get a 'partial' backup from an incomplete
run
and pick up from there on the next attempt until it completes.

> So here are a few questions:
>
> * On the N810, the internal flash is relatively small (2GB). So for
> media files, which live under /home/user/MyDocs/, I created a symlink
> to the 16GB microSD card, /media/mmc1/user/MyDocs. Obviously, I don't
> want to back up the content in this directory twice. Does backuppc
> follow symlinks during the backup?

No, either rsync or tar would copy the symlink as a symlink.

> * In a related question, I want to exclude the media files (e.g.
> podcasts and videos) that live in /media/mmc1/MyDocs/.sounds and
> .videos. The exclude I include in the configuration looks like:
>
> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
>    '*' =>  [
>      'proc',
>      'sys',
>      'srv',
>      'home/user/MyDocs/.sounds',
>      'home/user/MyDocs/.videos',
>      'media/mmc1/MyDocs/.sounds',
>      'media/mmc1/MyDocs/.videos',
>      'dev'
>    ]
> };

There are some differences in exclude syntax between tar and rsync that I never
remember myself but you can probably find explained in other list postings.

> Do I need to exclude both home/user/Mydocs/.sounds and
> media/mmc1/MyDocs/.sounds (and .videos) or will one or the other work?

It might be easier to pick a few top level directories that you want as
separate
'shares' instead of excluding what you don't want.

> * Finally, is there a way to throttle a backup?

With rsync you can add the --bwlimit option into the command.