BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Full/Incremental disbale

2010-10-28 08:41:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Full/Incremental disbale
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 07:39:13 -0500
On 10/28/10 5:03 AM, thigginson wrote:
> Well files are zipped up at each of our remote backup hosts. This allows them
> to make backups to media and have a localised archive of backups. It also
> allows that file to be password protected for transfer and storage.
>
> In some cases I need an incremental to get the latest dated zip file in the
> folder. A full backup would take down the connection due the size of all the
> zips combined. I suppose that I could script something client side to move
> the dated files around but I would rather keep things simple.

If you are using rsync or rsyncd, files that were included in the previous full
won't be transferred again.  In full runs they will be read and a block
checksum
comparison will be done which takes some time, but not much bandwidth.

Other than the file level encryption (and the initial run), you'd be better off
letting backuppc hit the original files directly and perhaps enabling
compression on ssh. You are probably duplicating files in your zips that
backuppc would know are unchanged if it saw the original copies, wasting both
bandwidth and storage space.  And if you have things like growing log files,
backuppc with rsync would be able to transfer only the differences even though
in that case it will store different copies.