BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Documentation lagging behind the GUI

2010-10-21 10:22:10
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Documentation lagging behind the GUI
From: itismike <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:19:35 -0400
Thanks for your response, Carl.
I'm not trying to start a flame war over command-line vs. GUI, but I thought
this was an amusing exchange:

Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> itismike wrote:
> > While the charm of OSS is that the code is easily accessible, I've found
> > that most of the documentation steps refer to editing curly bracket
> > objects, which is great for developers, but not-so-great for everyday
> > administration: Rsync/Rsyncd Configuration
> > $Conf&#123;RsyncClientPath&#125; = '';
> > &nbsp; Path to rsync executable on the client
> > $Conf&#123;RsyncClientCmd&#125; = '$sshPath -q -x -l root $host $rsyncPath
> > $argList+';
> > &nbsp; Full command to run rsync on the client machine. The following
> > variables are substituted at run-time&#58;
> > And the GUI actually has a drop-down list for choosing the type of
> > backup&#58;
> Not sure what you're getting at here, or what your original message looked
> like. Perhaps try posting in a block of plain text?

That's a quote from the documentation on the main site
(http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#rsync_rsyncd_configuration)
describing how to enable rsync by editing the config.pl file. I thought you
would have recognized it. :o  I know it's out-of-context, but my point is that
someone went to a lot of trouble to create a very nice GUI for the product, but
there doesn't seem to be a basic guide on how to use it.

BackupPC is maturing and has been available in repositories for simple apt or
"point-and-click" installations for several years. And it appears that the GUI
was designed so thoroughly that it's not even necessary to edit the config
files in some cases. It is necessary to create secure trusts between clients
and the server, but this info is buried within the config-file-centric
documentation.

I think what is missing is a very general checklist for first-timers, such as:
install BackupPC

        add hosts under the
Edit Hosts page
        enable communication between server and client(s)
        Windows clients: see
this post (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#winxx)
        Linux/UNIX clients: see
this post (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#linux_unix)
        check the
Host Summary page and review log filesIf there's an appropriate wiki to be
edited I'll be glad to help with it.