BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] New release of BackupPC_deleteBackup - who can put it into the wiki?

2010-10-18 16:52:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] New release of BackupPC_deleteBackup - who can put it into the wiki?
From: Matthias Meyer <matthias.meyer AT gmx DOT li>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:50:35 +0200

(http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=How_to_delete_backups).
>  > >> Jeffrey would do that but I didn't reach him via email :-(
>
> Sorry - I didn't receive any such email. Probably the best way to
> reach me is via the mailing list if email fails.
>
> Of course, Matthias is the original owner -- I just added a few tweaks
> ;)
>
> For my own internalversion control, can you tell me if any behaviors
> changed other than adding --remove
> Note I did a diff and noticed a fair number of changes but wasn't sure
> which are "cosmetic", which are "bug fixes", which are "polish" and
> which are "significant." The reason I am asking is that I notice at
> least one change that would break the script on my
> install. Specifically, the Fedora package version stores the config in
> /etc/BackupPC while you changed it to /etc/backuppc. For this change
> maybe the path could look both places or maybe there should be a
> user-defined variable at the top of the script.
>
> Beyond that, I was wondering whether any of the "fixes" or "changes"
> may similarly work on some systems but cause breaks on others.

Hi Jeffrey,

All improvements which was provided in the wiki are included in this "new"
release.

In addition I've added:
- remove XferLOG.<number>[.z] together with backup <number>
- --remove will remove a host from the /etc/backuppc/hosts as well as all of
his backups
- (today) look for /etc/BackupPC as well as for /etc/backuppc

All the rest from a diff should be cosmetics or changes which implemented
not from me.

So I would believe you can change the wiki text into:

How to delete backups from the archive:
Put this script somewhere in your path. It includes usage information when
run without arguments.

It will remove incremental backups too, if a full backup should be removed
where the incrementals based on. The incrementals will also be removed if
they are filled. Here is room for improvement :-)

FreeBSD
if you want to use BackupPC on a FreeBSD system, you have to change
the 'stat' calls. Change the two occurencies of the line:

        BackupTime=`stat -c "%y"
$TopDir/pc/$client/$BackupNumber/backupInfo | awk '{print $1}'`

into

        BackupTime=`stat -f "%Sm" -t "%Y-%m-%d"
$TopDir/pc/$client/$BackupNumber/backupInfo`

br
Matthias
--
Don't Panic