BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] From a Yum install to a Tar install

2010-10-17 04:46:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] From a Yum install to a Tar install
From: Johan Cwiklinski <mailings AT x-tnd DOT be>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 10:17:27 +0200
 Hi,

Le 17/10/2010 09:28, Timothy Omer a écrit :
> Hello All,
>
> I asked this question a few days ago and did not really get an answer,
> prob my fault for not being clear - so sorry for asking again.
>
> I wish to move from CentOS 5.4 Yum version 3.1.0 to the most recent
> Tar version 3.2.0. I know I should not mix Yum and Tar installs, so
> what is the best method to upgrade?

The best method would be to build the RPM for the 3.2 version.

That way, you'll keep the advantages of the package (ie. SELinux
contexts, paths and so on).

I already worked on a 3.2 version of the RPM package, but for Feodra,
not for EL-5 ; the upgrade policy is to keep stable software in the
repositories, not to put latest version.
As far as I remember, most of the specfile is the same for 3.1 and 3.2.

> I can remove the yum install and then install the Tar version. As far
> as I'm aware I will just need to restore my...
>> /etc/BackupPC/hosts
>> /etc/BackupPC/config.pl
>> and my Apache config
> I believe if I point the new install to the current backup pool it
> will read the current backups there as it uses this structure as the
> catalog.
>
> If someone who has done similar or knows the design of backupPC well
> could confirm what I wish to do is fine would be helpful. I wish to
> not lose my current backups as it will take multiple weeks for me to
> recreate them.

I'm really not an expert, and I did not yet upgrade any of my
installations from 3.1 to 3.2 ; but keeping files from /ec/BackupPC
would be sufficient.

> many thanks

Regards,
Johan