BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Creating large initial backup by copying filesonto the server

2010-10-12 04:00:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Creating large initial backup by copying filesonto the server
From: "Boniforti Flavio" <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 09:58:59 +0200
Hy Konstantin.

> Is it possible to create the initial backup 'manually' -
> i.e., copy the files onto the backup server through removable
> media and then proceed with incremental backups?

I do it like you would like to: I go to the server location, copy the
data over onto my USB HDD, bring them to my BackupPC server location and
"backup" them into the pool.

The procedure I use is as follows:
I mount the USB HDD (let's say on /mnt/USB), then I create the new host
in the BackupPC GUI. After having done this, I simply adjust rsyncd.conf
(on the same BackupPC server), start my rsync service and manually start
the backup of my new host.
After backup (full initial) has completed, I unmount the disk,
stop/disable local rsync and correct the parameters in the BackupPC GUI
to make it point to the remote server I want to back up.

If you need further details, just ask.

Kind regards,
Flavio Boniforti

PIRAMIDE INFORMATICA SAGL