BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Windows client : Easy deployment

2010-10-04 03:37:35
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Windows client : Easy deployment
From: Jonathan Schaeffer <jonathan.schaeffer AT univ-brest DOT fr>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 09:35:14 +0200
Hi all.

I'm in the process of bulding a large scale backup system in my
institute based on backuppc. So far, things are going according to plan.

We built up a backupPC server and a mechanism for seamlessly "install"
the client on the machines to backup with to objectives in mind :

- doing as secure as possible backups
- making the client as easy to deploy as possible

So we came out with a nice solution where the client package use a ssh
service key to connect to the backuppc server which generates an ssh
keypair, sends the public part to the client and registers the client in
the configuration files.

You can have a look if you are interrested :

https://tucuxi.univ-brest.fr/projects/iuem-backuppc-client

The deployment is very quick and easy on linux and MaxOS machines but
now, I have to deal with the windows machines, and this is totally
different. I managed to deploy a client but the process is fastidious
and there is no way for my users to do this by themselves.

I deployed the windows client according to the different docs on the
backupPC Wiki (VShadow, rsync+ssh, cygwin).

Question :

Did someone already worked on an automated deployment on windows ?
Has someone experience with one of those packaging system :
* wix
* nsis
* izpack
* inosetup

Or would a perl script be more appropriate ?

I would appreciate any pertinent input on the matter.

Thanks

Jonathan