BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] internet traffic/rsync/backuppc

2010-10-01 10:56:00
Subject: [BackupPC-users] internet traffic/rsync/backuppc
From: Wayne Walker <wwalker AT solid-constructs DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 09:39:49 -0500
BackupPC uses rsync as a transport.  Does it use any of rsync's smarts
to prevent downloading unchanged files?  If I run 2 full backups back
to back, does it pull the entire 90 GB both times?

Currently I use this (scripted) and nightly fulls are only 1 GB of traffic
(for 90 GB of data) :

SRC=20100929-230002 && TGT=20100930-230001 && \
cd /data/backup && \
cp -al $SRC/. $TGT && rsync -avPHxz --bwlimit 500 --delete
backup.axzas.com:/data/backup/$TGT/.  /data/backup/$TGT/.

Is there a way to get BackupPC to do something similar (in that it
doesn't download unchanged files).

I ask this because I'm importing my existing full backups from the above
system and it's taking roughly 10 hours for each full.  The data is on
LOCAL sata drives, old backups on a mirror, BackupPC data on a RAID 5.

BackupPC is reporting speeds of 1.5 to 3 MB / sec.  I'd expect speeds
closer to 50 MB/sec and I would not expect to pull unchanged files.

--

Wayne Walker
wwalker AT solid-constructs DOT com