BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] distribution packages and tar upgrades + full backups

2010-09-10 11:35:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] distribution packages and tar upgrades + full backups
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:32:33 -0500
On 9/10/2010 3:12 AM, Timothy Omer wrote:

> I'm performing backups of Win servers over a WAN connection with
> OpenVPN and DeltaCopy (wrapper around the Rsyncd for Win). I wish to
> have a monthly full backup and daily incremental. Every month when a
> full backup is needed I wish to avoid transferring all that data again
> from the remote client - what's BackupPC behaviour? Will it merge the
> last full and incremental as a base for the new Full backup and then
> add any changes?

The previous full run is used as the comparison unless you have
configured incremental levels.   But, why not just do more frequent full
runs to keep the base more current?  Fulls take longer in elapsed time
because the remote files are all read for comparison, but they don't use
a lot more bandwidth than incrementals.