BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup software that does deltas

2010-08-19 11:15:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup software that does deltas
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:12:58 -0400
Tyler J. Wagner wrote at about 14:13:39 +0100 on Thursday, August 19, 2010:
 > On Thursday 19 Aug 2010 12:45:21 Boniforti Flavio wrote:
 > > OK, I'll stick with ext3 or ext4 (don't know if ext4 is supported in
 > > Debian Lenny).
 > > Could you simply explain to me (curiosity) why ZFS de-duplication would
 > > not have any meaning on my setup?
 >
 > It won't be of use because BackupPC already performs its own data de-
 > duplication within the pool.  I suppose I should say it will be of little
 > use,
 > since the de-duplication is at the block, not file, level. So that will help
 > little.

I would think the amount it would help would depend highly on the
nature of your day-to-day file changes. Block de-duplication would add
over file de-duplication if you have a lot of (large) files that
change incrementally, such as logs.

It would be interesting to hear back from users of ZFS about their own
anecdotal experiences.