BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup software that does deltas

2010-08-19 09:02:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup software that does deltas
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 08:00:42 -0500
Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> Hello Tyler,
>
>> ZFS de-duplication won't be of any use to you. However, you
>> can always use ZFS to extend the filesystem later with more
>> disks. Otherwise, I'd recommend ext4.
>
> OK, I'll stick with ext3 or ext4 (don't know if ext4 is supported in
> Debian Lenny).
> Could you simply explain to me (curiosity) why ZFS de-duplication would
> not have any meaning on my setup?

I don't have any real experience with ZFS de-dup but I'd expect it to help if
(and only if) you back up large files with frequent small changes - and you
turn
  off backuppc's compression, perhaps enabling it in zfs.  Backuppc's pooling
will already de-dup files that are completely identical, but if even one byte
is
different in a large file you will store a complete new copy each time.
Block-level de-dup would share space for the identical blocks within the file.
I think you do need a lot of ram on a 64-bit server to perform well, though.
The
zfs incremental send/receive function might also work to copy the pool.

Has anyone tried installing backuppc on a nexentastor server?