BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Changing Backup Location

2010-06-29 10:50:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Changing Backup Location
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 13:21:28 +0100
On Tuesday 29 June 2010 12:18:19 waverider wrote:
> I created a symlink - hopefully correctly.  The original install placed
>  backups in /var/lib/backuppc and I wanted to redirect them to
>  /media/data/backuppc.  I created the symlink with ln -s /var/lib/backuppc
>  /media/data/backuppc which created a folder named backuppc in the
>  /media/data/ folder.  Hopefully I got this the right way around.

That command is correct.

> However, when I try to backup a host from the network it fails and the log
>  shows:
>
> Contents of file /var/lib/backuppc/pc/192.168.72.11/LOG.062010, modified
>  2010-06-29 21:01:27
>
> 2010-06-29 21:01:20 full backup started for directory /
> 2010-06-29 21:01:22 Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)
> 2010-06-29 21:01:27 Backup aborted (Unable to read 4 bytes)

That usually means an SSH connect issue. SSH authentication, for instance.
Verify that your keys are set up correctly on both sides, and test:

su - backuppc
ssh root@clientserver

If that works without prompting you, BackupPC should be able to rsync.

Regards,
Tyler

accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give
orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem,
pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently,
die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
   -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love", by Robert A. Heinlein