BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Commenting out hosts

2010-06-21 10:52:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Commenting out hosts
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 09:49:51 -0500
On 06/21 01:22 , Ian wrote:
> I have disabled some old hosts in the hosts file, but dont want to remove
> the info from the pool, so I commented them out (using a #), will this
> remove the info from the pool?

no, but it will make the host unbrowseable, and cause daily complaint mails
to be sent to you.
Leave the host information in the /etc/backuppc/hosts file unless you delete
all the host's data from /var/lib/backuppc/pc/ as well.

> Or will it leave the pool information (i.e.
> still browsable if i remove the commented out line)? I have changed each of
> the hosts im commenting outs $Conf{FullPeriod} to -1 so they wont try and do
> nay more backups.

That's one of the ways to do it.

For each of the hosts you want to stop backing up (but remain browseable)
insert these directives into the per-host configuration file (usually
/etc/backuppc/<hostname as it appears in /etc/backuppc/hosts>.pl).

Since (I think) 3.1.0 the directive to use to stop backups is:
$Conf{BackupsDisable} = 2;

However the old:
$Conf{FullPeriod} = -1;
(or -2 if you want to stop manual backups as well) will still work.

To keep it from complaining to you for 365 days, set this:
$Conf{EMailNotifyMinDays} = 365;

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator