BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Label tape archives

2010-06-07 11:42:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Label tape archives
From: Ryan Manikowski <ryan AT devision DOT us>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 11:17:20 -0400
On 6/7/2010 5:48 AM, Daniel Mueller wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm doing a weekly tape backup with $Conf{XferMethod} = 'archive' for
> offsite storage, started from cron. This works fine but I would like to
> label the sessions on the tape somehow.
>
> Something like this on the commandline:
>    tar --label="$HOST `date +%y%m%d`" -cf /dev/nst0 .
>
> Is there a way to supply the tar argument --label="" to
> $Conf{ArchiveClientCmd} somehow? Or do I have to modify
> BackupPC_tarCreate and get into Perl programming?
>
> Thanks
> Dan
>
> BTW: backupPC is a real lifesaver, keep on rocking!

Use the pre-dump command setting for your Archive and have it run a
script/command that labels the tape. No reason why the label function
needs to be included in the 'tar' command. Or, since you're initiating
from cron, why not run a cron job prior to the archive job that labels
the tape?

Ryan Manikowski