BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] The dread "Unable to read 4 bytes" / "Read EOF: Connection reset by peer"

2010-05-11 14:54:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] The dread "Unable to read 4 bytes" / "Read EOF: Connection reset by peer"
From: Nick Bright <oz AT valnet DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 13:52:47 -0500
On 5/11/2010 12:45 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 5/11/2010 12:26 PM, Nick Bright wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>>

>>> What does --port=38271 mean here?  Isn't that supposed to be used for
>>> standalone rsyncd, not over ssh?
>>>

>> Thank you for taking the time to reply.
>>
>> It's the port that SSHD is listening on. I had been stripping that out
>> because the guy that runs the target server is a little paranoid about
>> his SSH access.
>>
> In that case, shouldn't it be in the ssh arguments, not part of the
> rsync command passed to the remote?  I don't see how this would connect
> at all.

Precisely correct. I removed those port arguments and set the SSH server
on the target machine back to port 22 and it's working. Now I need to
figure out how to properly tell BackupPC that SSH is on a non-standard
port. I thought that I was doing it properly, but clearly not. All my
other boxes use the standard ports, which is why I've not had this issue
before.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and help find the
resolution to the issue.

  - Nick