BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] The dread "Unable to read 4 bytes" / "Read EOF: Connection reset by peer"

2010-05-11 09:21:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] The dread "Unable to read 4 bytes" / "Read EOF: Connection reset by peer"
From: Josh Malone <jmalone AT nrao DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 09:19:31 -0400
On Mon, 10 May 2010 20:14:54 -0500, Nick Bright <oz AT valnet DOT net> wrote:
> Let me start off by saying this: I know what I'm doing.
>
> I've been running backuppc for about two years on two servers, backing
> up about 25 servers (mix of windows and linux).
>
> This is the ONLY machine I've ever had this problem with that wasn't SSH

> authentication problems, and what's worse is that it worked for almost a

> year before it stopped working. I'm convinced it's something about the
> shell or environment of the client system, but I've been trying to
> figure this out since last *November* and I'm just not getting anywhere
> with it. Every single hit just says "your SSH keys are messed up", but
> they most certainly are /not/ messed up, as evidenced below.
>
> All of the configuration is the same as my other linux servers. I can
> find absolutely nothing preventing this from working, but it fails every

> time!

<diag info snipped>

Hi. I run BackupPC on RHEL5 and I've never had the slightest problems.
That said, here's all I can think of:

Have you checked the 'messages' and 'secure' logs on the target server?
Are your target servers (the backed-up hosts) also running CentOS5?

I would try running the actual rsync-over-ssh command as the backuppc user
on the backuppc server:

   usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root TargetServer /usr/bin/rsync --server \
      --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links \
      --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --port=38271 \
      --ignore-times . /

And see if you get anything from that command or in the logs of the target
server.

If all else fails, try starting sshd in the foreground (sshd -D) on the
target server and watch the connection and process start up.

-Josh

       Joshua Malone       Systems Administrator
     (jmalone AT nrao DOT edu)    NRAO Charlottesville
        434-296-0263         www.cv.nrao.edu
        434-249-5699 (mobile)
BOFH excuse #360:

Your parity check is overdrawn and you're out of cache.