BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] [Solved] Slow web-GUI access

2010-05-11 10:42:42
Subject: [BackupPC-users] [Solved] Slow web-GUI access
From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 16:40:09 +0200
Hi,

FYI, some of you might recall that I some time ago complained about the slow
web-GUI with BPC. Today the whole BPC-subsystem was crashed and didn't respond
at all. CLI-restarts of both Apache and BPC gave me failed errors. So, I
figured I might as well rebuild this whole thing...

At the end of the day I think the problems are now solved, and I think I have
a hunch why it might have been so sluggish before (discussion further down).
Anyway, the solution was a two-step process as outlined below.

What I did:
* Backed up the relevant config.pl and hostname.pl-files as well as htpasswd,
.ssh- and certificate- folders.

* Uninstalled httpd and removed any .conf-files.

* Uninstalled BackupPC (BPC), and cleared any config-files.

* Rebooted server.

* Reinstalled httpd and BPC.

* Restarting the daemons showed no improvement... 8-/

Step two:
* Unmounted the /bak (/dev/md0)-folder, which was the software raid5-array and
the place where BPC stored its pool and stuff.

* Recreated the array with raid0. Yeah, I know, maybe not the brightest idea,
but it will be fast...

* Restarted the BPC daemon.

* The web-GUI is lightning fast! Which leads us to the discussion...

I think the culprit was the software raid5-array the whole time... Peaking at
approx 94-95% full pool since a few months back, the array was stretched
nearly to the max for all intents and purposes. Although the syncing and
checksumming of the raid5 array didn't seem to draw much power from the cpu's,
it seems to have put quite a strain on the disk-subsystem. Raid5 hasn't been
really recommended to use anyway, but I still wanted to try it out as it gave
a redundancy of sorts. As it turns out, it works pretty good, but the pool
can't be more than about 75-80% full, or the web-gui will have serious access
time-problems. That is my conclusion at least.

I'll let the raid0-array fill up and see if the access-problem will reoccur.
Will report back in that case.
--
BW,
        Sorin