BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] RsyncP and --whole-file

2010-04-29 08:00:19
Subject: [BackupPC-users] RsyncP and --whole-file
From: Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie AT googlemail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:58:12 +0100
Dear BackupPC users,

I'm doing a bit of a review of my BackupPC configuration, largely because I
originally set it up with Tar, and when my server decided it wanted to backup
my laptop using Tar over WiFi (when I was away from my desk), it was rather
painful.  So now it's using Rsync and all seems well there.

However, looking into the matter of rsync vs tar again lead me to realise that
rsync now supports hard-links, and all-round does a better job than tar at
detecting changes, and now I'm trialling rsync for the local backup my server
does of itself.

Now I've added checksum caching to speed things up, but I was wondering about
whether RsyncP supports the --whole-file option, as bandwidth is clearly not an
issue, and all that checksuming seems a waste of CPU.  Furthermore, if it is
possible to use the --whole-file option, how does that affect checksum caching?

Would it still help?  I imagine it would still save time calculating whole-file
checksums, but I'm not sure.

Or am I making a huge mistake chosing rsync over tar for localhost backup?

So, does anyone have a clue?
Paul