BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Maximum file name/path length from Windows machines

2010-04-13 13:58:51
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Maximum file name/path length from Windows machines
From: Ed McDonagh <ed.mcdonagh AT rmh.nhs DOT uk>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:05:49 +0100
Hi

I have been using backuppc for some time now, with generally very
pleasing results. However, I have not been able to ever get reliable
backups of my main Windows storage server (Win2003 Storage Server Ed).

First of all I tried SMB. This was unreliable because I was getting too
many time out errors (the classic "20000 millisecond timeout" issue). I
did lots of searching on this, and in the end decided to give rsync a
try.

With the backuppc pre-packaged cygwin-rysnc package, I moved onto a new
problem - the "File name too long" issue. From research on this issue,
it seems that the version of cygwin in this package has this limitation.
So I moved on to a manual cygwin rysnc setup.

Which I partially did by following the guide on
http://www.goodjobsucking.com/?p=62 - but I never got it to work.

So I moved on to the present setup:
 # Windows share mounted on ubuntu backuppc server (cifs with options
dir_mode=0555,ro,iocharset=utf8)
 # Backup of 'localhost' first with tar, then improved by
 # Backup of 'localhost' with rsync

This works quite reliably. However, I still have a number of files that
have long file names that never get backed up. In the transfer log, I
get the following:

Unable to open /var/lib/backuppc/pc/arran-groups/new/f%2fmnt%
2farrangroups/... ...Experience.pdf for writing\n
Botch, no matches on /var/lib/backuppc/pc/arran-groups/new/f%2fmnt%
2farrangroups/... ...Experience.pdf (275c263514e3bc2d3610cd0ad8217b74)\n

Obviously I have chopped the bulk of the path name. The shortest of
these has a path length from '/var' to the filetype suffix of 240
characters, including all the 'f's. The longest 379. The filename itself
in each of those was 150 and 233 (including the initial 'f')
respectively.

As the share is mounted with utf8, I don't know how many bytes these
filenames are. Previously, before I changed to mounting cifs with utf8 I
was running into difficulty with filenames that had greek letters etc
in.

If I browse to the shared drive in the shell, I can see the missing
files, and if I use sftp to browse the folder from another computer (the
backuppc server is shell only), I can open the files with the long names
no problem.

One thing I have spotted, is a reference to a maximum file name length
of 255 bytes and a proposed improvement. However, this is on a roadmap
that is dated 22nd September 2004!
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/roadMap.html - maybe this page needs
an overhaul? ;-)

Sorry for the long email. I really hope that someone will be able to
point me along the right path.

Kind regards, and thank you for a wonderful product.

Ed
Attention:
recipient(s) only. It may contain proprietary, confidential and/or
privileged information and should not be copied, disclosed, distributed,
retained or used by any other party. If you are not an intended recipient
please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail (including
attachments and copies).

The statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
author and do not necessarily reflect those of the Royal Marsden NHS
Foundation Trust. The Trust does not take any responsibility for the
statements and opinions of the author.

Website: http://www.royalmarsden.nhs.uk