BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Looking at BackupPC notation clarification

2010-04-10 19:47:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Looking at BackupPC notation clarification
From: Ted Hilts <ehilts AT mcsnet DOT ca>
To: Luis Paulo <luis.barbas AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 17:45:11 -0600
On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 21:53 +0100, Luis Paulo wrote:
> I think what you need is to get started, and the web GUI is the place
>
> In my ubuntu 8.04 I have
>
> $ cat /etc/apache2/conf.d/backuppc.conf
> Alias /backuppc /usr/share/backuppc/cgi-bin/
>
> <Directory /usr/share/backuppc/cgi-bin/>
>     AllowOverride
> None
>     Options ExecCGI FollowSymlinks
>     AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
>     DirectoryIndex index.cgi
>
>     AuthGroupFile /etc/backuppc/htgroup
>         AuthUserFile /etc/backuppc/htpasswd
>     AuthType basic
>     AuthName "BackupPC admin"
>     require valid-user
>
> </Directory>
>
> If when you type http://192.168.1.16/backuppc/ on your browser you get
> a request for user/password for authentication and you don't know the
> password,
> you may use the htpasswd command to add/change user backuppc with a
> password of your choice to the /etc/backuppc/htpasswd file
> see man htpasswd
>

> Unless anyone knows a better way, of course.
>
> Note:
> $cat /etc/backuppc/htpasswd
> will print an encryped password, not he password you want to find.
> Something like
>  backuppc:QZF/p88SJO.EU
>
> Tell me/us if the above makes any sense to you, and any more questions
> you may have.
>
> Regards
> Luis
>
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Ted Hilts <ehilts AT mcsnet DOT ca> wrote:
>
>         On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 07:07 +0100, Luis Paulo wrote:
>         > __TOPDIR__ should be replaced by /var/lib/backuppc on my
>         server
>         >
>         > there is no __TOPDIR__/pc/$host/config.pl
>         >
>         > The only config.pl is /etc/backuppc/config.pl, that provides
>         the
>         > defaults to all /etc/backuppc/$(host).pl files
>         >
>         > Try su - backuppc
>         >
>         > ----
>         > Save the planet, don't print
>

>         Luis Paulo
>
>         The response is NOT AUTHORIZED.
>
>         I tried using su -s backuppc and got the same response.
>
>         I tried using my regular password which was not authorized.
>
>         I tried using backuppc as the password which was also not
>         authorized.
>
>         I looked through config.pl and could find no password and
>         anything that
>         looked like it might be was "backuppc".
>
>         I have changed nothing in config.pl so the default set up
>         should work?
>
>         All I am trying to do is get the GUI front end Web to
>         operated.
>
>         The help tells me:
>
>         Usage: su [options] [LOGIN]

>          -c, --command COMMAND         pass COMMAND to the invoked
>         shell
>          -h, --help                    display this help message and
> [...]

Luis Paulo

After a bit it became evident that I needed more authority so I ended up
by:
Opened a bash session terminal.
then
sudo htpasswd /etc/backuppc/htpasswd backuppc
then
I first was prompted for my password because of using sudo
then
I was prompted for new password (twice) after which I got the response:
Updating passwd for user backuppc
then
I opened Firefox browser and entered:
http://192.168.1.16/backuppc/
then (I think) I got the request for user and password which I provided
after which the web gui came up on Firefox with the following
information:

General Server Information
      * The servers PID is 6368, on host Ubuntu, version 3.0.0, started
        at 4/9 15:56.
      * This status was generated at 4/10 17:10.
      * The configuration was last loaded at 4/9 15:56.
      * PCs will be next queued at 4/10 18:00.
      * Other info:
              * 0 pending backup requests from last scheduled wakeup,
              * 0 pending user backup requests,
              * 0 pending command requests,
              * Pool is 0.03GB comprising 3355 files and 3267
                directories (as of 4/10 01:00),
              * Pool hashing gives 0 repeated files with longest chain
                0,
              * Nightly cleanup removed 0 files of size 0.00GB (around
                4/10 01:00),
              * Pool file system was recently at 85% (4/10 17:06),
                today's max is 85% (4/10 01:00) and yesterday's max was
                85%.
Currently Running Jobs

Host
Type
User
Start
Time
Command
   PID
Xfer PID

Failures that need attention
  Host
  Type
  User
Last Try
 Details
  Error
  Time
Last error
(other
than no
ping)

Does the Pool have a copy of all my file fro "/"?

Do I do this same thing for the next machine or can I do the other
machines remotely from 192.168.1.16? Or, do I want to. I don't want
the backup on the same machine as being backed up and that looks like
that may be the case?

Are the files in the backup now compressed?

How would I do a restore if tomorrow 192.168.1.16 died?

Should I have a dedicated backup and restore machine and if yes can I
use an older machine (and I mean old)?

How do my questions come close to the current defaults?

Sorry for all the questions and based on your response there will be
many more questions.

Thanks -- Ted Hilts
PS: I probably won't get back to my email till later tonight or  later
but I will try to take a look at your responses.
Thanks again. Ted