BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Looking at BackupPC notation clarification

2010-04-10 16:55:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Looking at BackupPC notation clarification
From: Luis Paulo <luis.barbas AT gmail DOT com>
To: ehilts AT mcsnet DOT ca
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 21:53:28 +0100
I think what you need is to get started, and the web GUI is the place

In my ubuntu 8.04 I have

$ cat /etc/apache2/conf.d/backuppc.conf
Alias /backuppc /usr/share/backuppc/cgi-bin/

<Directory /usr/share/backuppc/cgi-bin/>
    AllowOverride None
    Options ExecCGI FollowSymlinks
    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
    DirectoryIndex index.cgi

    AuthGroupFile /etc/backuppc/htgroup
        AuthUserFile /etc/backuppc/htpasswd
    AuthType basic
    AuthName "BackupPC admin"
    require valid-user

</Directory>

If when you type http://192.168.1.16/backuppc/ on your browser you get a request for user/password for authentication and you don't know the password,
you may use the htpasswd command to add/change user backuppc with a password of your choice to the /etc/backuppc/htpasswd file
see man htpasswd

Unless anyone knows a better way, of course.

Note:
$cat /etc/backuppc/htpasswd
will print an encryped password, not he password you want to find. Something like
 backuppc:QZF/p88SJO.EU

Tell me/us if the above makes any sense to you, and any more questions you may have.

Regards
Luis

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Ted Hilts <ehilts AT mcsnet DOT ca> wrote:
On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 07:07 +0100, Luis Paulo wrote:
> __TOPDIR__ should be replaced by /var/lib/backuppc on my server
>
> there is no __TOPDIR__/pc/$host/config.pl
>
> The only config.pl is /etc/backuppc/config.pl, that provides the
> defaults to all /etc/backuppc/$(host).pl files
>
> Try su - backuppc
>
> ----
> Save the planet, don't print

Luis Paulo

The response is NOT AUTHORIZED.

I tried using su -s backuppc and got the same response.

I tried using my regular password which was not authorized.

I tried using backuppc as the password which was also not authorized.

I looked through config.pl and could find no password and anything that
looked like it might be was "backuppc".

I have changed nothing in config.pl so the default set up should work?

All I am trying to do is get the GUI front end Web to operated.

The help tells me:

Usage: su [options] [LOGIN]

 -c, --command COMMAND         pass COMMAND to the invoked shell
 -h, --help                    display this help message and exit
 -, -l, --login                make the shell a login shell
 -m, -p,
 --preserve-environment        do not reset environment variables, and
keep
                               the same shell
 -s, --shell SHELL             use SHELL instead of the default in
passwd

ALSO:
I tried a shell and entered "http://192.168.1.16/backuppc/"
and
I did the same thing using Firefox.

In both cases I got a response from I think my router after entering the
user as "backuppc" and the password as "backuppc".

I also used my name which has administrative properties -- instead of
backuppc and I also used my regular password and in all cased I get a
not authorized response and a little message indicating that probably
the password is incorrect or something to the idea that my system does
not know how to handle this kind of thing. I don't remember the exact
response.

Got any other ideas???

Thanks -- Ted Hilts