BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Error : Child Process Terminated immaturarily

2010-04-01 11:00:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Error : Child Process Terminated immaturarily
From: Frank J. Gómez <frank AT crop-circle DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 10:51:27 -0400
I, too, get this error occasionally for one of my hosts.  I've made some changes to my config and I've yet to see whether or not the issue persists, but the user in question has several thousand files that need to be backed up, so it had entered my mind that memory might be an issue (either on the host or the server).  I just ran the Linux command "top" on the server (that particular backup is currently running), and BackupPC-related commands seem to be using < 10% of the system memory, so that does not appear to be a concern.

How would you recommend splitting the job up into smaller ones?

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Allen <allen.stowe AT rogers DOT com> wrote:
ckandreou <backuppc-forum <at> backupcentral.com> writes:

> Lately I am having problems with backing up a particular server. We increased
the swap space on unix solaris
> box and the backup was performed with following error:
>
> 2010-03-31 05:22:37 ccdev10: Out of memory during "large" request for 16781312
bytes, total sbrk() is
> 468277248 bytes at /usr/local/BackupPC/lib/BackupPC/FileZIO.pm line 215.
> 2010-03-31 05:22:44 Backup failed on ccdev10 (Child exited prematurely)
> 2010-03-31 05:22:44 Running BackupPC_link ccdev10 (pid=43911)
> 2010-03-31 05:22:46 Finished ccdev10 (BackupPC_link ccdev10)
>
> I am not sure how to address this problem. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

> Thanks in advance
>
> Chris

> |This was sent by christakisandreou <at> yahoo.com via Backup Central.
> |Forward SPAM to abuse <at> backupcentral.com.

Do you have many files on this system? I have had something familiar where
thousands of files reside on one file system and rsync runs out of memory. Try
splitting your job up to smaller ones.

 Allen...