BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] fixlinks script usage pattern (BackupPC_fixLinks.pl)

2010-02-28 16:16:24
Subject: [BackupPC-users] fixlinks script usage pattern (BackupPC_fixLinks.pl)
From: David Britton <davidpbritton AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 14:15:00 -0700
Hi All --

I downloaded and have been attempting to use the BackupPC_fixLinks
script and have run into an issue.  Let me explain my situation.

I'm trying to create a offsite secure backup of the backuppc topdir,
but of course most of the systems I am using cannot deal with
hardlinks, so.. use BackupPC_tarPCCopy, problem solved, right?

Well, kind of -- unfortunately, I'm getting a lot of files in the pc
directory (not hardlinked into the cpool) and it's making the
tarPCCopy VERY large, which of course is bad for incrementals since
it's just a big tar ball and can't benefit from any of the
incremental, bandwidth friendly tools out there.  So, I searched, and
found BackupPC_fixLinks, which sort of looks like what I want...

... but, I'm having trouble figuring out the usage pattern.  I'm
basically running the following:

- /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_fixLinks.pl -f

When it's finished, I try to get the tarPCCopy again, and I get a lot
of these lines:

Can't find starbuck/178/f%2f/fUsers/fShared/fiPhoto
Library/fOriginals/f2008/fIMG_1406.JPG in pool, will copy file

Which of course tells me that I'm still not running the fixLinks
script correctly.

Are my assumptions off-base?  Am I not using the script correctly?

Thanks all!

--
David Britton <davidpbritton AT gmail DOT com>