BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] experiences with very large pools?

2010-02-19 11:49:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] experiences with very large pools?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:47:55 -0600
On 2/19/2010 10:28 AM, Ralf Gross wrote:

>> if you dont want to go pure opensolaris then look at nexenta.  it is a
>> functional opensolaris-debian/ubuntu hybrid with ZFS and it has dedup.  it
>> does not currently share via iscsi so keep that in mind.  I believe it also
>> uses a full samba package for samba shares while opensolaris can use the
>> native CIFS server which is faster than samba.
>>
>> opensolaris can also join Active Directory. You also need to extend your AD
>> schema.  If you do you can give a priviliged use UID and GUI mappings in AD
>> and then you can access the windows1/C$ shares.  I would create a backup
>> user and add them to restricted groups in GP to be local administrators on
>> the machines (but not domain admins).  You would probably want to figure out
>> how to do a VSS and rsync that over instead of the active filesystem because
>> you will get tons of file locals if you dont.
>>
>> good luck
>
> Thanks for you detailed reply. I'll have a look at nexenta, right now
> www.nexenta.org seems to be down.

You'd want www.nexenta.com for the nexentastor product.  nexenta.org is
for the desktop flavor.  With zfs you could probably build 2 identical
systems and use an incremental snapshot send/receive for the backup but
I have no idea how that scales.  I'd expect it would be much faster than
traversing the directories, though.