BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental Seems To Backup Whole System

2010-02-18 20:07:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental Seems To Backup Whole System
From: Mike Bydalek <mbydalek AT compunetconsulting DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 18:06:15 -0700
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 12:04 PM, John Rouillard
<rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 07:51:13AM -0700, Mike Bydalek wrote:
>> My question is, why did backups 13 and 14 backup all that data?  Same
>> with 2 and 7 for that matter.
>
> What level are your incremental backups? if backup 2 was at level 1
> and backup 7 was at level 1 (you use levels 1 2 3 4 5 6) and backup 13
> is back at level 1 that's kind of what I would expect since level 1
> backs up everything since since the last full.
>
> However 14 should be quite a bit less unelss it was also a level 1.
>
>> Below is my config.  I'm still messing with the IncrLevels and have a
>> super short period just to get some increments and all that going.
>  [...]
>> $Conf{IncrLevels} = [
>>   '1',
>>   '2',
>>   '3',
>>   '4',
>>   '5',
>>   '6'
>> ];

After re-reading the documentation for {IncrLevels} again the
configuration settings are starting to make sense.  The only question
I have left is, does creating a new "full" backup *have* to do the
entire full backup again?  Can't it just perform an increment and
merge it to create a full?  The reason I ask is I'm planning on moving
this server off-site so it'll go over a WAN.  Sending 250G over a 1M
connection every week or two doesn't sound fun!  Is this what
$Conf{IncrFill} is supposed to handle?

What I want is to basically perform a backup every day and keep 30
days of backups without doing another 'full' backup.  I don't really
care how many 'full' backups I have as long as I can restore from 29
days ago.  Would these settings do the trick for that?

$Conf{FullPeriod}  = 30;
$Conf{IncrPeriod}  = 1;
$Conf{IncrKeepCnt} = 30;
$Conf{IncrLevels}  = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ...... 30];
$Conf{IncrFill} = 1;

This may start to get off topic, so I can start a new thread if needed.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Mike