BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Error when attempting to backup Windows 7 client PC network shares using smb transport method

2010-02-18 14:54:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Error when attempting to backup Windows 7 client PC network shares using smb transport method
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 13:51:25 -0600
On 2/18/2010 1:31 PM, Christian Tye wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I am attempting to backup several network folder shares on a Windows
> client PC running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit OS using smb transport
> method, and I am receiving the following errors (see below), on _ANY_ of
> the shares that I add to be backed up by BackupPC. I have had no issues
> backing up many different versions of Windows including, Windows 2000,
> Windows XP, and Windows Vista. This is our first Windows 7 client PC in
> our company to be added to BackupPC and I was wondering if there have
> been any kind of changes done in Windows 7 that would be preventing it
> from being backed up successfully? Or if Windows 7 is even compatible w/
> BackupPC? I have checked the permissions on the shared folders of the
> client PC and they seem to be ok, but I could be wrong. Can anyone
> suggest/recommend what the permissions should be on the shared
> drives/folders? I wasn't sure if this issue is related to a samba config
> setting or if I just have the permissions on the shared drives/folders
> incorrect? Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated and if any
> additional info is needed, please just let me know, thanks.
>
> Samba version installed on backup server:  3.2.7-11.4.1

I've seen some changelog entries on recent samba updates that mention
fixing compatibility with windows 7 but don't recall exactly which
version or what it fixed.  You should be able to connect to a share
manually with smbclient with the same credentials to see what works.  It
looks like you are connecting but can't see any files.