BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Request for pointer

2010-01-29 15:38:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Request for pointer
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:36:46 -0600
On 1/29/2010 1:48 PM, John Hudak wrote:

>     First: backuppc wiki
>
> :http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=Tips_and_Tricks
>
>     I don't use it anymore but this is what i remember:
>     The user you fill in in the config.pl <http://config.pl> e.g. user:
>     backupuser passw: password
>     You add that user to every PC to the administrator group (and backup
>     operators?)
>
> Assume I have 3 xp machines, each machine has one user, with admin
> privilidges, and a password.  Are you saying that in my config.pl
> <http://config.pl>, I need to add, for every machine I want to back up,
> the user name and password?

You can do that in the web interface in the 'edit config' link for each
host.

> What do I do if the machine I want to back up, has only one user with no
> password but admin privlidges?

Your other option - and probably what most people do - is to add a
backup user on each machine (if they aren't in a domain who is in the
administrator and backup user groups so the login/password stays the same.

>     When your clients are statically mapped, use that as client name.
>
> .....use *that* as client name".....What is *that* referring to? the
> clients IP address (xx.xx.xx.xx)? The client PCs 'name'?

The cleanest way to do this is to have local dns with entries for each
name.  That way normal (not just windows/netbios) network connections
will work with the names.  Next best for a small set is to put them in
the hosts files.

>     backuppc and smb just have to do with how you access the clients. It has
>     nothing to do with DC's etc. You only need the package installed to have
>     the smbclient program +-
>
> So you are saying that I do not need to configure SMB as a domain
> controller...?

No, if you have local passwords on each machine you don't need any
domain controller.