BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Request for pointer

2010-01-29 11:30:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Request for pointer
From: koen.linders AT koca DOT be
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 17:28:19 +0100 (CET)
> 1) some clarification of both backuppc settings and Samba setting from
> someone who has backuppc backing up xp clients over a small LAN.  e.g.
> show
> me relevant sections of your config and .pl files.

First: backuppc wiki
:http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=Tips_and_Tricks

I don't use it anymore but this is what i remember:
The user you fill in in the config.pl e.g. user: backupuser passw: password
You add that user to every PC to the administrator group (and backup
operators?)

> 2) a pointer to a Samba-xp how to....where Samba is NOT a domain
> controller

When your clients are statically mapped, use that as client name.
Then you don't need nmblookup to find the clients and don't need a WINS
server for netbios name lookups

> 3) a clarification to: When using backuppc and SMB, is the assumption that
> Samba is acting/configured as a domain controller or not? For backuppc to
> work, what is the easiest way to configure Samba (not as a domain
> controller?)

backuppc and smb just have to do with how you access the clients. It has
nothing to do with DC's etc. You only need the package installed to have
the smbclient program +-

I'm not at work so I can't check info from the backup servers.
I hope this helps a bit.

Koen Linders