BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Distro choice

2010-01-27 14:42:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Distro choice
From: John Hudak <jjhudak AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:38:33 -0500
thanks, I didn't know about sudo su -
-John

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On 1/27/2010 10:04 AM, John Hudak wrote:

> Pet peve: One issue that I have found quite annoying is that the
> Debian/Ubuntu branches have their own structure of where to put
> applications and utilities in the file structure.  I came from a Bell
> Labs/ATT/BDS UNIX background and have used Slackware extensively in the
> past.  For me, that was the 'standard' and routing around the guts of
> Debian and finding out (and still learning) were system files,
> application files etc are located has been a little frustrating.

Most linux distros make some attempt to follow the LSB/FHS standards
(basically some committee shuffling things around without quite enough
thought to make 3rd party packages portable).

> So was
> the concept of sudo in Ubuntu (Why is there no easily identifiable root
> state (e.g. root terminal)...At least Debian will launch a root terminal
> ....So, I guess it just depends what one is accustom to......

You can 'sudo su -' to get a root terminal if you want.  That even works
on a Mac, which they seem to want to emulate.