BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Distro choice

2010-01-27 11:31:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Distro choice
From: John Hudak <jjhudak AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:30:27 -0500
Hi Max:
Thanks for posting the pointer.  After reading thorough it, I strongly disagree with the statement "Easiest choice for WinXX"....Easiest is a matter of perspective, and trying to figure out XP/Win7 file protection protocols so that it will play nice with Samba, is more than a little challenging.  Finding out the file protection mechanisms is one thing, and then figuring out how in Windoz to modify them is another.

From my perspective the problems I've been having could be mitigated with stronger documentation in the BackupPC doc about how Samba and XP should be configured.

In retrospect, what is implied in the BackupPC doc is 'if you already are running a samba server and talking to Xp machines, then using SMB protocol is quite easy'....

Your mileage may vary....
John

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Max Hetrick <maxhetrick AT verizon DOT net> wrote:
Huw Wyn Jones wrote:
> Is there much difference between Linux distros when it comes to building a new Backuppc server from scratch? I'm thinking of going for either CentOS or Debian but I was curious if anyone had any comments or insight on the matter.

When it comes to this kind of thing, it's personal preference really. I
use CentOS, but that's what my company has chosen, and what I now prefer
since it's what I know.

If you choose CentOS, I have a guide here to get you started:

http://www.maxsworld.org/index.php/how-tos/backuppc-on-centos

Regards,
Max