BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] help with Error: Can't Find IP address for HP-PC-XP

2010-01-23 22:10:32
Subject: [BackupPC-users] help with Error: Can't Find IP address for HP-PC-XP
From: three_jeeps <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:09:16 -0500

three_jeeps wrote:
> Perhaps somebody can explain what this problem is and how to solve it.
> I have a Debian machine running BackupPC and a windows xp machine that I want
> to back up.  Both machines are on a small local network served by a router.
> I have a 3rd machine on the network, running Ubuntu server (192.168.0.108) as
> a webserver, but NOT serving the Backup PC pages (they are on the Debian
> box). The Debian and XP machines have statically mapped IP addresses, done by
> the router via matching MAC addresses in a table of corresponding IP
> addresses (192.168.0.2 (HP-PC-XP), 192.168.0.3 (Debian).   The Ubuntu machine
> is also statically mapped to an IP address.

Whoops, I made an error.  The ubuntu server is at IP address 192.168.0.110.

the Debian box is 192.168.0.108, not 0.3...

The error I see from backuppc says: ' HP-PC-XP is a DHCP host, and I do not
know its IP address.  I check the netbios name of 192.168.0.108 (e.g. the
Debian box that is running backuppc) and found that that machine is not
HP-PC-XP.
Until I see HP-PC-XP at a particular DHCP address you caon onl start t his
request from the client machine itself.'

Sorry for the confusion
-J