BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Determining space consumed by a backup

2010-01-21 09:12:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Determining space consumed by a backup
From: Ken Long <klong AT memach DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:34:32 -0500
On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 21:38 +0100, Pieter Wuille wrote:

> Yes, this is possible to determine. By default, the "du" system utility will
> count files occurring more than once in a set of directories only once.
> if you use this three times:
>
>   cd /var/lib/backuppc/pc
>   du -sh *
>   du -sh [all workstations]
>   du -sh [all non-workstations]
>
> You get three numbers, A, B and C. B is how much space you will need (excuding
> some filesystem metadata + size of the pool/cpool directories, but if you have
> 4TB of data, this is probably neglectable) on the new backuppc server. A-C is
> how much space you'll be able to free on the original one. Note that these
> commands may take a while (a few hours, i'd say) on a large filesystem.
>
> As for the migration itself, i'd suggest you to first attempt to create two
> identical backuppc configurations, with all data on both. If this works, you
> can delete all workstation-pc-subdirs on the second, and all
> non-workstation-pc-subdirs on the first. The nightly job will then delete all
> files which aren't used by any backup anymore.
> In case this is not possible because of harddisk space constraints, it may be
> a little more tricky/dangerous.

Excellent.  You're right, du is going to take a
loooooonnnnnnnngggggggggggggg time, but if it'll keep track, that works
great.  And that was about what I was expecting on the copy - space may
be tricky, but I might have a way to temporarily get around that by
adding some extra (non-permanent) storage with LVM for the copy, then
after I trim everything down, I can remove the extra space.

Thanks a lot for the help!

-Ken