BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a laptop via DHCP

2009-12-29 03:41:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a laptop via DHCP
From: Koen Linders <koen.linders AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 09:39:17 +0100
> My home network is basically a windows Workgroup and I was planning on
> access my laptops via smb.  From my backuppc server I can see both laptops
> on the workgroup.
>

> Any help, guidance would be much appreciated.

The easiest thing I guess would be to:
First: install Samba to be the WINS server for your network. (wins
support = yes)
check 7.3.3: http://oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch07_03.html

(It's only a really short step from here to have samba also be the
fileserver for your home network)

2d: Install DHCP3-server.
There are a lot of examples but the essential is giving the wins
server address with the dhcp lease. That way your windows desktops
will always register their netbios name with the samba wins server and
backuppc can query it as mentioned with the nmblookup command. As a
side effect network browsing in windows will also speed up.

If you don't want to install and configure this, you can always set
the wins server manually in the advanced network settings in windows.

Maybe it is possible to have Backuppc check with dns instead of
netbios but that's still harder to configure in my opinion.

Greetings,
Koen Linders