BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Combine multiple Backuppc servers into one

2009-12-18 16:39:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Combine multiple Backuppc servers into one
From: Kameleon <kameleon25 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 15:37:07 -0600
I was afraid of that. Thanks for the reply. It may make better sense to have multiple servers for a bit anyways. Hopefully soon we will be getting a dedicated Dell server for this so I can just set it up to do backups and leave the current ones in archive mode until at such a time that the data is outdated.

Thank you very much.

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
Kameleon wrote:
> To simplify what I am trying to accomplish I will explain it this way:
>
> We currently have 2 backuppc servers. Both have 2x 1TB drives in a Raid1
> array. What I want to do is move all the drives into one machine and set
> it up as a Raid5. That would give us 3TB usable rather than 2TB usable.
> Hence why I need to move everything to one setup.
>
> Thanks for any guidance.

There's no good way to merge existing pooled files if that is what you
are asking.  Or to convert a Raid1 to a Raid5 without losing the
contents. I'd recommend building a new setup the way you want and
holding on to the old systems for as long as you might have a need to
restore from their older history, or perhaps generating tar images that
you can store elsewhere with BackupPC_tarCreate.  Once the new system
has collected the history you need you can re-use the old drives.