BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Sysadmin Newbie BackupPC Ubuntu 8.10

2009-12-01 23:34:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Sysadmin Newbie BackupPC Ubuntu 8.10
From: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 22:32:54 -0600
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:37 AM, Delta <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am going to use backuppc for the first time and would like to know how to
> backup the /etc and /home local on the machine/server with BackupPC.  Any
> issues regarding permissions would be great to know and what to set where so
> I do not get any errors.  I would also like to know as which user does
> backuppc run and in which groups must this user be?  Also if a file can not
> be accessed what do I need to do to get backuppc to access the files.  And if
> a user has sensitive information that he/she does not want to be public,
> could that be encrypted and still be backed-up with backuppc.

I don't know that I can answer all of your questions but I'll give my
$0.02.. Keep in mind I'm using it for a home network of 3 Fedora based
computers so you may have to tweak some of the info for Ubuntu.

Theoretically you could skip the ssh portion of the rsync on your
local backups, however, if your system is like Fedora and the backuppc
service runs as user:group backuppc:backuppc, then you would have to
do something about the permissions/groups so it may be best to stick
with ssh authentication as root even though it's additional overhead
you wouldn't otherwise need. This *should* prevent any access issues.

As far as data encryption, if it's done on a per file bases then
BackupPC will just backup the encrypted file like it would any other.

I'm making an assumption that you already have BackupPC running and
backing up remote hosts and you understand how passwordless
authentication works using public/private rsa key sets. It's something
that took a while for me to wrap my head around. If not, I can try to
explain but there are good howto's available only a google search
away.

Richard