BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] DumpPreUserCmd status returns

2009-11-26 12:54:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] DumpPreUserCmd status returns
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 09:51:53 -0800
Jeffrey writes:

> As many know, I use rsync in DumpPreUserCmd to run my shadowmountrsync
> routine on the remote client. This routine has many legitimate reasons
> for not returning success.
>
> However, the backuppc log often shows on failure:
>                  2009-11-24 11:00:04 DumpPreUserCmd returned error status
> 512... exiting
>
> I don't understand the 512 status since the rsync man pages lists
> return codes as 0-35. So what does 512 mean?

It's 256 * exitStatus, so the exit status is 2.  The lower 8 bits are
the signal number, if any, that killed the process.

Craig

       $?      The status returned by the last pipe close, backtick ("``")
               command, successful call to wait() or waitpid(), or from the
               system() operator.  This is just the 16-bit status word
               returned by the traditional Unix wait() system call (or else is
               made up to look like it).  Thus, the exit value of the
               subprocess is really ("$? >> 8"), and "$? & 127" gives which
               signal, if any, the process died from, and "$? & 128" reports
               whether there was a core dump.